The European Smart Grid Cyber and SCADA Security forum for 2013 has attracted more solution providers and utilities than previous years. We have extended the venue to two floors, exhibition above and conference below.
Hopefully this increased interest from industry is a good sign that Cyber issues are being looked at more closely and given more the attention they deserve - BEFORE the attack takes place.
I recently had a conversation with a European utility that simply stated that there were no definite plans in place, and Cyber attacks weren't taken that seriously as they have never experienced one - so management didn't feel it necessary to prepare.
Shocking - yes. But this perspective still exists and in my opinion, is one of the greatest threats against Critical National Infrastructure. "Problem? What problem?"
We have asked for an update on the 50 Hertz Cyber Attack and am told Rudolf has been briefed and will cover this incident to some extent.
You can read about it here
"A German power utility specialising in renewable energy was hit by a serious cyber-attack two weeks ago that lasted five days, knocking its internet communications systems offline, in the first confirmed digital assault against a European grid operator"
I hope to meet many new industry leaders this year and find it a privilege to say we will be joined by
• Daniela Pestonesi, IT and Security Systems, Enel
• Evangelos Ouzounis, Senior Expert, Network Security Policy, ENISA - European Network and Information Security Agency
• Patrick Miller, President and CEO, EnergySec
• Gitte Bergknut, MU Nordic Information Security Manager, EON Sverige AB
• Steve Brunasso, Manager of Security Services, California
Water and Power
• Daniel Zajd, Senior R and D Engineer, Vattenfall A B
• Miguel Chavero, IT Manager SIMOD, Iberdrola Distribution
• Justin Clarke, Security Researcher, Cylance
• Patricia Robison, Professor of Cyber Security, New York University
• Rudolf Baumann, Chairman of the Transmission Security Cooperation, Senior
Advisor Operations, swissgrid AG
• Sean McGurk, Managing Principal Industrial Control Systems Cyber Security, Verizon Business
• Corrado Leita, Project Coordinator, CRISALIS
UK Power Networks, Centrica, National Grid and many more have recently joined. See you March 11th and 12th.